Herbed Tempeh and Hash Browns
This is a hearty and filling breakfast. It’s great served with toast, or in a whole grain tortilla. Feel free to double the recipe.
2 medium red potatoes cut into ¼ inch cubes
1 8 oz. package tempeh
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 Tbs. tamari or shoyu
1 tsp. dried rosemary
¼ tsp. dried thyme
¼ tsp. dried sage
½ tsp. dried oregano
1. Cut tempeh in half and steam for 20 minutes, cool and crumble. Alternatively, soak tempeh in cold water for a few minutes and dry with a clean paper towel before crumbling.
2. Cook potatoes in boiling salted water 10 minutes, or until soft. Drain and cool.
3. Add olive oil and onion to a skillet over medium heat. When onion starts to sizzle, add a pinch of sea salt. Cook until onions are tender and start to brown.
4. Add potatoes to the skillet.
5. Add crumbled tempeh to the skillet.
6. Add the herbs and combine with tempeh and potatoes.
7. Season with tamari and stir. Cook until heated through browned to your liking. Season with sea salt, if desired.
Serves about 3-4
Recipe by Christine Scalfo, HHC, AADP
Helping to get more plant foods into your diet…one bite at a time.
For Us - For the Planet – For the Animals
www.foodforliving.net - 856-696-4234